Featured
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
The romantic relationship norm
A single thought that has always crept upon my mind. Why be
in a romantic relationship? Is it because of certain needs that friends cannot
fulfil? Such as loneliness, sex, marriage, children/kids. It could be anything
of that sort. We create these norms to ourselves that it SHOULD be this way. That
a romantic relationship SHOULD occur, as if there is no any other way. Parents
expect us to have or find a good career, find a life partner, get married and
have kids. Who created this norm? What is the history behind this? It simply
seems to me like a pattern everyone expects everyone else to follow. The
instant one speaks about not planning to get married, you are referred to as
being ‘out of the ordinary.’ Why is that the case?
I simply disagree with the norm we used to grow up with. The
norm we are used to and only know of. The norm that are expected of us. The
“life partner” norm that are displayed on multiple movies, books, news, social
media, radio, television and so many more places one can think of. The norm
that prevents a great number of individuals to be less open-minded around this
topic. Why not allow another person to explore their believes? In actual fact,
allow someone else to think differently. It cannot be that difficult right?
Most importantly, we all have different points of views. Multiple people that
will come across this post may not even agree with me and I am more than okay
with that. Simply because I understand the different, we are from one another
and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Those being referred to as being odd and different are
simply open to other thoughts. Also known as open mindedness.
Back to why be in a romantic relationship. There seems to be
more to it than what I have mentioned above. Some people feel empty and seek for
something in someone else to fulfil the emptiness within them. In most cases
the persons background plays a huge role within this matter. There can be so
many reasons why people end up in a romantic relationship. Some may only want
something different in their lives; others want to explore in the world called
love and forever love. Honestly speaking, is it all worth it to dive within
something you do not plan to be all in? I have seen people getting hurt in the
process. I do not think it is fair towards the other person that are trying by
all means to be all in and willing to give their everything. This is why some people
end up being hurtful and heartbroken in a relationship.
Do not get me wrong, I have nothing against relationships. I
am simply trying to understand the reasons behind everything. This is all up
and open for discussion. I would be more than happy to hear the opinions of
others out there. Additionally, I would like to dwell more on the history of relationships
and the reasons why people feel the need to end up in a romantic relationship.

Comments
Post a Comment